Friday, September 6, 2024

Dear Daughter

Merci mille fois, ma fille.

You have completely changed how I see our Good Father-

  • your profound joy every morning when I wake you up...your laughter extinguishes all exhaustion lingering in my body. Every day is new and to be explored...not to be taken for granted but one to be greeted with such delighted expectation!
  • your "ttok ttok ttok" knocking on every door in the house and firm expectation that it would open to you inspires me to have that kind of faith whenever I seek out new opportunities 
  • that day you refused to let me open the container of blueberries for you...that broke my heart Es. I wondered, do you question my ability? do you doubt my love for you? do you doubt that I am for you and would do anything in my power to make you happy? It is a sobering realization knowing that even then I'll have days when I fail you, yet we have a Father who never will and has limitless capacity to be everything for you...my deep desire is that you would know His perfect love
  • your unwillingness to hold my hand when exploring the world-despite my better knowledge of your safety-reminds me of the ways in which I stubbornly refuse to let the Lord lead me some days
  • your fearlessness in jumping into the water and into my arms--even when I'm not ready. Your utter faith that I will catch you is the one of the best compliments. I pray I will rely on God like you.
  • your existence--especially when you are fast asleep--brings me inexplicable joy. Even when you were a baby, I could stare at you for hours. No need to do anything-your very being is my delight.